Praying in Central Asia’s poorest country
September 18, 2019
Welcome World Prayer Team, we’re so glad to you’re here to pray for God’s Word to reach the whole world.
As we touch down in the capital of Dushanbe, Tajikistan, today here are a few things you should know:
- Tajikistan is the poorest country in Central Asia; 84% live below the poverty line. The country remains strongly dependent on Russia, both for its economy and to help counter security problems.
- With over 93% claiming Islam, few Tajiks have had the opportunity to hear the gospel because of religious restrictions.
- Despite this, God’s church is growing. Some estimates indicate there may be as many as 1,000 believers.
- Uzbek is the largest minority group in Tajikistan with around 1.7 million people. There are no Uzbek churches in Tajikistan.
- Fear of radical Islam has led to many religious restrictions. Preaching, distribution of religious materials, and registration of churches is very difficult, if not illegal.
That’s a lot to pray about! So, please join us in interceding for Thru the Bible’s broadcasts heard in both the Russian and Uzbek languages. Let’s ask God to use His Word to touch the hearts of the Tajik people and grow His church in this beautiful but troubled land.
Pack your bags and join us tomorrow as we travel on our knees to Ukraine.